Sunday, September 23, 2007

blog confessions

Ok I admit it! I'm a sucker for vampires! I don't mean a blood sucker, I mean ever since I read a Dracula comic that belonged to my somewhat older cousins and stayed up the whole night watching the tree branches outside my Grandma's window, I've LOVED vampire stories.

Bram Stoker's Dracula scared the pants off of me! But it is the kind of scary I can deal with because its only scary for me within the context of the book. I have complete faith that I will never turn a corner and meet up with the living dead. Nevertheless, I could only read that book during the day in my parents front livingroom which was the brightest sunniest room in the house and when it still got to be too much I'd go find a room where my sibs were doing something else so I'd have someone else in the room with me. It's kind of funny because I'm not really a scary movie kind of person. I've never seen Silence of the Lambs, or any of the Jason Movies. I think the scariest movie I ever saw was called Seven and I walked out of the theater very mad and physically sick, but for me Vampires are different. They're not real and I enjoy the fantasy world vampire writers invent.

Besides Gary Oldman as Dracula in Bram Stoker's movie I also love Gerard Butler (who made a great Dracula but I'm glad didn't get to play Aragorn in Lord of the Rings) and Jonny Lee Miller who could kill Gerard Butler's Dracula in Dracula 2000 (which in an interesting twist had Dracula be Judas Iscariot), but apparently that wasn't enough to save his marriage to Angelina Jolie who moved on to Brad Pitt who played the vampire Louis in Interview with a Vampire. Yes and I admit I timed my kids naps so I could watch reruns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (I do have some sense that this subject isn't for everyone and every age).

All this talk of vampires has been brought on because I've picked up a new book series that I really like, well lets say I like the first book of the trilogy and I'm dying to find the second one. The series is by Stephanie Meyer and the first books is called Twilight. I found it at half price books and read it in one night. I just found the third one called Eclipse at Costco and it is killing to let it sit there while I wait to find book two!

I was looking for some of the names of the movies above and I found a list of vampire movies and was surprised to see the first one came out in 1909! I bet that would be funny to watch today. I remember seeing the older German black and white Nosferatu that came out in 1922 it was pretty comical!

Well have a good week and if this post freaks you out you can go buy some garlic, or send me an email and I'll give you the secret location for the holy buckets of water

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is certainly a side of you that I never knew. I personally stay as far away from anything scary, fantasy or not!! I dream too vividly!